Since the 1800s, asbestos has been used in a multitude of various industries:
- The building and construction industries have utilized it for strengthening roofing, sound absorption, and cement.
- The shipbuilding industry has used asbestos to insulate boilers, pumps, and valves, and produce resistant gasket and packing for steam-driven machinery.
- The automotive industry used asbestos in vehicle brake shoes and clutch disks.
- The refinery and plant industries have used asbestos to insulate steam pipes and other pipes running corrosive materials.
- The Navy utilized asbestos on almost all the equipment and pipes below deck.
- Lastly, the oil and gas industry utilized asbestos for drilling mud additives, brake pads, and clutches on heavy machinery used in the drilling operation.